Monday, June 14, 2010

Graves Sworn-in as New 9th District Congressman

In a ceremony this evening on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives, Tom Graves was sworn-in as a Member of the 111th Congress.

Graves was introduced to the full House by fellow Georgians, U.S. Reps. Jack Kingston and John Lewis.

The Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi administered the oath of office to Graves.

The Congressman’s three young children accompanied him on the floor during the ceremony while his wife and approximately 60 supporters watched from the House gallery.

Following is the prepared text of Congressman Graves’ first speech before the U.S. House of Representatives:

Madam Speaker,

As we recognize Flag Day today… It is also a reminder of the greatness of this young republic… the foundations for which it rests… and the opportunity that awaits.

As one who didn’t grow up in wealth or politics but quite the opposite, very simple beginnings, in a single wide trailer on a tar and gravel road in the backwoods of North Georgia.

I am here now, paying tribute to my parents who couldn’t give me the material things in life but instead… loved me dearly and encouraged me to… dream big… work hard…and achieve much.

While I am standing before you today as a freshman member… I am also the freshest voice from the campaign trail.

And the message from the Hills of North Georgia is clear….

Less spending,

A Balanced budget,

Personal responsibility

Empower the people.

While the challenges are great across this nation…The will and the constitution of her people are greater.

You know my dad was right…If we as a Nation…Dream big…work hard…we can achieve much!

So on behalf of GA 9…I’m here to go to work.

No comments: