Monday, January 5, 2009

Statement from Governor Sonny Perdue Following the Death of Griffin Bell

Governor Sonny Perdue issued the following statement following the death of Griffin Bell:

“Mary and I are saddened to hear of the passing of one of our nation’s greatest public servants and one of Georgia’s most accomplished native sons, Judge Griffin Bell. As a respected counselor to political leaders on both sides of the political spectrum, Griffin Bell’s impact on our state and nation spanned multiple generations. He had a unique ability to explain complex legal matters plainly and to bring people together over even the most contentious of issues. On a personal note, I am grateful for the counsel he provided to me during my time as Governor. Given his ability to hone in on the central issue in complicated legal proceedings, I was not surprised to discover that in addition to his legal talent, he had one of the best shots of any lawyer I knew. The people of Georgia celebrate the life of this extraordinary man, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

No comments: